Monday, February 22, 2010

Mason's Birth Story(reason for MRI)




As almost everyone knows Mason had an MRI on February 15, 2010. The reason he was having the MRI in the first place, you are asking yourself?
Well it's a long story. The problems first arose when I was in labor. I was being induced, because I was a week overdue, and presented with low fluid levels. In other words it was better for him to be born sooner rather then later.
I got to the hospital at 6:30am the morning of October 13, 2008. Everything was looking fine. They gave me the medicines to start my labor at 8:00am. By 9:00am I was made to lay flat in bed. His heart rate kept dropping. This happened over and over. There were times when it would stay down for minutes at a time. This went on all day. At 4:30pm I was checked for my dialation I was finally at 7cm. (For those of you who don't have children you need to be at 10cm to give birth.)You usually do around 1cm per hour. This was not my case. At 7:30 I was still at a 7. With contractions coming back to back. (Did I mention I was on NO pain medication!)At this point Mason's heart had dropped very low and stayed there. So while they were deciding rather or not to perform a csection, his heart stopped! Hearing no more beeps from the machine of my babies heart rate I felt as though my heart stopped at well.They had me turn to my side and began pressing on my belly, (as if doing in uterine cpr)it worked his heart rate came back weak and slow but it was back! I could breath again. They immediately prepared me for a csection. On the way to the operating room, once again I did not hear any beeps coming from the machine. Once again we prepared for the worse. They delivered his fast, the cord had been wrapped around his neck, and the contractions were cutting off his oxygen, therefor stopping his heart.
He looked great! He was breathing on his own, and pinked right up. The only thing they were concerned about at the time was that he was a lot smaller then they had thought. They guessed I was having a huge baby.(They were thinking almost 9lbs) Mason had other ideas he came in weighing 5 pounds and was 19 inches long!
From the beginning in my heart I knew something was wrong. When I asked the Dr. they kept telling me not to worry I was just nervous after his birth. But I knew they were wrong. I had four other children and this baby was different from the get go. He never cried. And when I say never I mean never! Dr.'s would tell me oh he is just a good baby.
I put the feeling of things being wrong in the back of my mind and enjoyed my new baby. That was until, he was not hitting any milestone on time. The Dr.s again told me not to worry those are just ranges, and all babies are different. I knew better. But again I brushed it off. Until he was 10 months old. That was when I decided it was time for a new Dr. one who would listen to us. At 10.5 months old Mason was seen by a new Dr. who was worried just like me about his milestones and growth. FINALLY! I had found someone on our side.
Just to put Mason's milestones in order for you at 10.5 months he was not sitting, scooting, crawling, pulling up, feeding his self, many of the things that an average 6 month old should be able to do.
This Dr. ordered a series of blood tests, just to check things out. She referred us to physical and occupational therapy, rehab therapy, and monthly check ins with her. His weight was on the lower side and his muscle tone was low. She started him on pediasure to help with his weight.
He started therapy at 11 months. He goes once a week. He is now 16 months and with the help of therapy I am now proud to say he is sitting, scooting, pulling up to things, and feeding his self. He still has a long ways to go to catch other children his age, but I am no longer worried. I know he is getting the help he needs.
The Dr. wanted to send us to get the MRI to check his brain. To see if any of his delayments could be from his traumatic birth. We went exactly one week ago to day from today. I will be writing about the MRI experience later. We were suppose to get the results back last Thursday or Friday, but we didn't. The Dr. did call this morning and informed me everything looked fine. Which is the best news, he has NO brain damage from his birth. She is however still sending us on to genetics clinic, for further testings. But so far that is the best news we could have gotten!
So until next time :)

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe what you had to go through! I'm just glad that Mason and you made it through that and he's alive, well and is sure on his way to growing big and strong. I hope he keeps making progress on his therapy. I look forward to more postings. :)

    ReplyDelete